Wow.  Lots of good stuff.  No definite winner yet.  Kind of sad that in this
day and age this rather simple issue has yet to be resolved.  Have all the
smart CS people decided to boycott every-day issues?  I am but a mere
accounting guy, so obviously the bribes to look the other way have effected
me.

Cleary I've gotta do some due dilligence.  I'd like to have a language
independent solution, but as Brain Candler has pointed out, drb has some
real performance advantages.  In my place of employment, we deal with C,
C++, TCL, Perl, java, and more.  I'd like to not lock into anything so
specific as DRuby.  On the other hand, if the gains are so compelling, well
.. . .

Well druby seems so cool that I would just have to do it.  Too bad that does
not net me anything on the resume.  Anyways. . .

I'd like to clarrify my XML concerns.  Lucky Stiif makes a point that YAML
is more compact over XML.  XML is easy to read.  Soo too is Yaml.  Xml is
less than compact (more vorbose) than YAML.  XML, therefor, seems the lazy
man's out.  I'm not paid to be a script kiddie.  Xml means more bytes going
over the wire.  YAML simplifies mashelling objects (data).  From the old
days, I was taught "Wires are slow.  Don't put stuff on the wire."  Cisco
may disagree.  Too be sure, bandwidth is only one measure of total network
performance.  Latency is the other.  A chatty protocol with small chucks on
a highly latent network will still be slow.

Great set of ideas guys.  I'll have to review the total messages/server to
better understand the chattiness of this scenario.  I've yet to completely
think though the required throughput for the total system.  I know I've got
at least 12 servers to start with.  More are always potential.  In this day
and age, less are equally possible, if you catch the drift.

I surely appreciate the input.  It is nice to know that my issues are not
unique.  I promise an update as to the course of (in)action.  I'm sure we
all appreciate the fogginess of the prior statement.  Shoot.  Maybe I'll
take the easy way out.  Maybe I'll just rewrite in VB.