--0-474285592-10473246824886

Just to take you a little off subject for a moment:
I'm also a newby. I went to your site and installed Ruby (Windows version). On the comand line level it works just fine. Now to create a program. Therein lies my problem. At home I am running LINUX, so I don't expect a problem (I'll install the LINUX version and use #!). At work, though, I'm not that lucky. I am running on an XP platform. I can't use #! here so how do I define the directory where my .rb modules will be run from?
 Daniel Carrera <dcarrera / math.umd.edu> wrote:> Althoug getting a job in programming is a concern of mine, I think
> I'd still be able to find another line of work. I am however very
> interested in being a volunteer developer for a Linux distribution,
> it would certainly help me learn the programming language.

Most of Linux/OSS is written in C, in the Unix tradition. KDE is an
exception, it is mostly C++.

C is easier to learn than C++, and to some degree it is a subset of
C++.

I would suggest you learn Ruby first, then C then (possibly) C++. In
my case I've never had a compelling reason to learn C++. I only know
C.

--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant. Math Dept.

--0-474285592-10473246824886

<P>Just to take you a little off subject for a moment:
<P>I'm also a newby. I went to your site and installed Ruby (Windows version). On the comand line level it works just fine. Now to create a program. Therein lies my problem. At home I am running LINUX, so I don't expect a problem (I'll install the LINUX version and use #!). At work, though, I'm not that lucky. I am running on an XP platform. I can't use #! here so how do I define the directory where my .rb modules will be run from?
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Daniel Carrera &lt;dcarrera / math.umd.edu&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE styleADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">&gt; Althoug getting a job in programming is a concern of mine, I think <BR>&gt; I'd still be able to find another line of work. I am however very <BR>&gt; interested in being a volunteer developer for a Linux distribution, <BR>&gt; it would certainly help me learn the programming language.<BR><BR>Most of Linux/OSS is written in C, in the Unix tradition. KDE is an <BR>exception, it is mostly C++.<BR><BR>C is easier to learn than C++, and to some degree it is a subset of <BR>C++.<BR><BR>I would suggest you learn Ruby first, then C then (possibly) C++. In <BR>my case I've never had a compelling reason to learn C++. I only know <BR>C.<BR><BR>-- <BR>Daniel Carrera<BR>Graduate Teaching Assistant. Math Dept.<BR>University of Maryland. (301) 405-5137<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
--0-474285592-10473246824886--