On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Travis Whitton wrote:

> Hello all - I've been using Ruby quite happily over the last year, and I have
> very few complaints. It's proven to make my daily life here at work much
> easier and much more enjoyable, and I love what a fantastic community it has.
>
> So far, I've been developing small, web-driven systems here at work using
> mod_ruby and Amrita, but, I'm coming up to a much larger project that will
> require much better state-handling and widgets than a web browser can provide.
>
> I've used FXRuby some in the past, and I'll say that it's API is quite nice
> (thanks Lyle); however, there are a few issues that prevent me from using it.
>
> 1) No native widgets(I want a contiguous look & feel across platforms)

Agreed. I especially don't like that multiple document interfaces looks no
good with Fox on windows (the "internal" windows drawn by Fox and thus do
not have same "fluff" as the outer one drawn by windows). Its a minor
thing though since MDI's may not be a good design anyway. But when you
need it... ;)

> 2) Can't be compiled to .exe

This is actually false. I have "compiled" the FXRuby hello world example
into a 1.6MB stand-alone binary on Windows using exerb and upx. So it can
be done. Took about a second or so for it to start up on an AMD
Athlon XP 1800+ with 512MB mem and Seagate Barracuda IV on ASUS A7V333

Regards,

Robert Feldt