"Daniel Carrera" <dcarrera / math.umd.edu> wrote in message
news:20030310002956.GB1225 / math.umd.edu...

> IMHO, the best language is Ruby.  I like C a lot too, but I use it
> mostly as a complement to Ruby.
>
> The langauges that are most likely to give you a job are C++, Java and
> Perl.

I agree with the above, except C# is also becoming very important. It would
probably deal with some of the library issues. In the scripting section PHP
might also be relevant, depending on web focus.

I would also like to add Ocaml as a language to consider.

The two best languages are IMHO Ruby, OCaml. Apart from the language
qualities, both these languages have easy interfacing with C which is
important for real software solutions.

If focus is on serious GUI development I think ADA and Eiffel might be
interesting.

Why learn Ruby?
It's so easy to getting started that it will be worth your while even if you
choose not to use it. Ruby will grow on you - it is a very powerful
language.

Mikkel