On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:30:22 +0900, Conrad Schneiker
<schneik / us.ibm.com> wrote:

>Anyway, would you be willing to give a brief summary of what you liked
>about wxPython and why? And did you try Python/Tkinter first? If so, do
>you like wxPython just somewhat better or very much better?

Programming is only my hobby, but it may become my profession.  Some
time ago when I started with Python, coming from a Dos, Turbo Pascal
programming backgroun, I started using tkinter and the pmw package but
never really liked it - may be because I did not understand properly
how it worked.

I then tried out pygtk and liked it.  The gtk-tutorial tutorial helped
me to understand what I am doing and together with a very helpful
mailing list I could use it.

My problem was that I (a Linux user) wanted to write some programs my
friends (windows users) could use.  At that stage I started to try out
wxPython which also have a very active and helpful mailing list. I
could develop a program on a Linux machine and it would run on a
windows computer with wxPython installed on it. WxPython is actively
developed by Robin Dunn and there are frequent new releases.

If pygtk was at that stage also portable between Windows and Linux, I
would not even have tried wxPython.

I suppose it will take a lot of time and manpower to get a wxRuby to
the standard of wxPython. If there is a prospect of gtk being portable
to Windows in the near future without problems, it may be not worth
all the effort to start developing a wxRuby.

I also like the feel of fltk, but have never worked seriously with it.

Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336 / 023 55 11 568
     "The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to