On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 06:34 PM, Damon wrote:

> ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) wrote in message .
>>
>> I took a semester of Russian at community college and one of the first
>> things you have to get is that some letters that look familiar to you
>> (they exist in the English alphabet) have been 'overloaded' with
>> different
>> phonemes (P->R, y->oo, B->V, etc.) I suspect the same happens for
>> Russians
>> learning English.
>>
>> Phil
>
> Interesting.  Is there a list of words that are spelled the same in
> both English Latin and Russian Cyrillic alphabets, but are of course
> pronounced differently and mean different things?

Gee, I couldn't come up with a single one, however I am sure there must
be some. In general, it is more common to see an English word migrate
into Russian and being spelled so that you may not even recognize it.
Like computer -- (you need to have cyrillic enabled in your
browser to properly see the letters).

Gennady.