il Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:56:50 -0500, no / spam4me.com ha scritto::

>Hello:

hi!

>#1 Is Ruby a good choice for a general porpose langarge that can build
>stand alone apps under Windows?

I think so, you could use winapi, ole, and lots of other stuff.

>#2 I may be off the web but I still gotta have my data, does Ruby
>support ODBC or some other way to connect to SQL server or an access
>database?

ruby-DBI is a common interface to many database:
ADO, ODBC , DB2 , InterBase , MySQL , Oracle , PostgreSQL , etc

>What are your top two "most helpful" web sites for working with
>Ruby.

I think http://www.rubygarden.org/ is the most useful, with
raa.ruby-lang.org.

And this newsgroup/mailing list could solve all the problems you could
have.
The ruby community is *wonderful*

>Thanks for any Input.
>Steve.