Hi all,

This is a summary of ruby-dev mailing list in these days.
I'm sorry to post so late.

[ruby-dev:19665] Custom node

  Shinya Hayakawa suggested to allow adding "user custom node" to
  the ruby's internal syntax tree, in order to help user-level
  optimization and/or user-defined syntax extension.

  This idea was rejected because the merit is not obvious.  We can
  already write a method in C (extension library).  Even if we introduce
  custom node, it can only reduce cost of method calls, which are
  reasonably optimized in ruby.

  At the same time, matz states that ruby never allow syntax extensions.

[ruby-dev:19685] [Oniguruma] Version 1.8.1

  K.Kosako released his regular expression library Oniguruma
  version 1.8.1.  This version implements "subexp call".  With this
  function, we can reuse sub-expression of some regular expression.
  (?<NAME>...) names a pattern, and (?*NAME) is the reference to the
  named pattern.  For example,

    /\A(?<E>|\((?*E)\)\z/

  matches to "", "()", "(())", "((()))"....
  This pattern is equivalent to the following BNF (yacc rules).

    E :
      | '(' E ')'

[ruby-dev:19705] ruby 1.8.0 preview2

  Matz announced new 1.8.0 preview.  1.8.0 is the next stable version.
  Check it out from:

    ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.0-preview2.tar.gz
    ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.0-preview2-missing.tar.gz

  Notice that TestUnit and registry.rb were accidentally dropped from
  the main tarball.  Take them from the `-missing' package instead.

-- Minero Aoki