On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:35:13AM +0900, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:29:12 +0900, Gour wrote:
> >  Otoh, GNOME2 is free and in active development, so I'm interested is it
> >  possible to do some Win32 development under MingW/MSYS environment?

I think that Gtk2 is your best bet.  Personally, that's what I plan on
using for any cross-platform GUIs I write.  The Gtk2 toolkit is superb
(imho).

> Many Gtk2 projects are now releasing Windows versions
> for this very reason (check out http://gaim.sf.net/ for an example of
> a reasonably complex UI being ported to Windows via Gtk).

Yup!.  My family and I currently use gaim to keep in touch.  My mom has
Windows, my brother Linux and I Solaris.  Gaim works beautifully on all
three.  I have another brother using Mac OS X, but I doubt he's into IM.

> As to whether Ruby/Gtk2 will need porting before Ruby/Gtk2 on Windows
> is reasonable, I can't say -- but I can say that it should be possible
> to port it in any case.

I think that Ruby/Gtk2 does need porting to Windows, but that'll happen
quickly since both Ruby and Gtk2 work well under Windows and development
of Ruby/Gtk2 is going fast.

--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.