On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:59:39AM +0900, jbritt / ruby-doc.org wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:53:47AM +0900, Chris Morris wrote:
> > > YAML gets more traffic here then XML does -- maybe a generic
> > > Conf/Serialization lib that could use either XML or YAML might be in order.
> > > I dunno, just typing out loud.
>
> Not sure why there is more traffic for YAML over XML (though I have some guesses), but for those displeased with XML, for whatever
> reasons, there are many alternatives:
>
> http://www.pault.com/pault/pxml/xmlalternatives.html

Not really "being displeased", but XML is a language for marking up text,
and doesn't by default have semantics for doing data-handling jobs (like
storing config files or serialising objects). You can't say "I'll just
serialise this object to XML using xxxlibrary" and expect it to interoperate
with another platform; you'll be able to _parse_ it anywhere, but you'll end
up writing code to interpret the structure.

Also, some of those XML 'alternatives' are just different syntax for the
same thing, i.e. using indentation instead of <tag>...</tag>

> YAXML isn't so easy in the eyes, either.

It doesn't look too bad to me. At least, a hash expands to
    <key1>value1</key1>
    <key2>value2</key2>
which is how you'd instinctively design an XML schema to do that. But I
haven't found an implementation to try.

> In addition to SOAP serialization, there's also XML-RPC
> http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec

Yep, played with that one too. I like its simplicity and I like having RPC
semantics. It's not very rich though (e.g. it can't serialise 'nil' and it
can't handle aliasing)

> In the long run, the choice depends on whether you foresee the need for features available in one format that are not available in
> others.

And taking a punt on whether it will be around in a year or two, which may
be important in some cases (e.g. if you standardise on a particular method
for interfacing with your customers). On that basis, I may end up having to
bite the bullet and learn SOAP.

Regards,

Brian.