On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:09:37 GMT, gabriele renzi wrote:

>>Is ruby going to have (in a reasonably predictable future :) embedded
>>docs available via some attributes, in a similar way as it is done in
>>python?
>
> if you're talking about __doc__
> Well, matz answered me on this topic telling that no, thiw won't ever
> appear, cause it makes the interpreter bigger.

Ok. I was curious about matz plans.

> Anyway, in near future all the stdlib would incorporate rdoc
> documentation, and the whole thing  would be integrated with ri.

Btw, very interesting discussion has been started within this thread.
I'm only just discovering the Ruby Universe and I'm glad seeing many
important answers at once. It speeds up the process of minimizing lack
of my knowledge very efficiently :)

> It seems reasonable to me having documentation separated from running
> code.

Well, in my opinion: yes and no. There are the cases when availability
of docs in runtime could be a crucial thingy. Anyway, the solution
could be a wrapper/loader/whatever adding specific doc-data from
external sources. I don't need it now, just theorizing.

--
We don't demand solid facts! What we demand
is a total absence of solid facts!