On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:

> Esperanto has been touted as a common language for over 100 years, but it has
> never really been a serious alternative.  If you want a good way to kill Ruby

The internet may be changing that, as it makes people more aware of
other peoples.  There's a lot of Esperanto stuff out there.

> entirely, put all the documentation into a language spoken by absolutely
> nobody.

http://www.esperanto.net/veb/faq-5.html
2 million people > nobody.

It was not suggested that an auxilliary language prevent docs being
supplied in a native language as well.  Having Japanese + Esperanto
will reach a much wider audience than just Japanese alone, and gives
me two versions of the text to look at if I want to check the
meaning.

> All the Ruby documentation should be available in both English and Japanese.

Do you mean docs for all projects?  How do the French speakers on
this list feel about this proposal ;-) ?

> This will probably put more of a burdon on Japanese developers, as few
> English speakers will be able to put anything on paper in Japanese, while
> most Japanese developers have some English.

But both these could put something in Esperanto even if they
translate by machine.

        Hugh