"Seth Kurtzberg" <seth / cql.com> wrote in message
news:200302231530.57692.seth / cql.com...

> All the Ruby documentation should be available in both English and
Japanese.
> This will probably put more of a burdon on Japanese developers, as few
> English speakers will be able to put anything on paper in Japanese, while
> most Japanese developers have some English.

I consider documentation a very important part of developing software.
Software without documentation is like a house without a door. I mostly
avoid software where the author can't be bothered to document the material
or only runs it through a doc tool without any further explanation.

But the above claim is unreasonable. I'm more likely to look at software
documented in Japanese than undocumented software, because at least the
author cares about the users. But even if I avoid software documented in
Japanese, there are still a lot of people that would benefit from the
software - and in the standard installation this software could still be a
dependency to other software documented in english.
Likewise, I could imagine people from Japan avoiding software only
documented in english. It happens, but I doubt you find many volunteers to
translate english to japanese, except for major books and software modules.

This shouldn't stop the software from spreading. On the other hand, software
that is not documented, can't be translated so documentation in any major
language could well be a requirement.

Mikkel