On Sunday 23 February 2003 10:06 am, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> It is more than that.  I have just written a module that already exists,
> and I was always aware that Japanese documentation exists.  That doesn't
> help; if I can't find one of my Japanese speaking friends, knowing the
> documentation exists in Japanese doesn't help me.  (I also rewrote it
> because the other implementation is poorly designed, but that is a separate
> issue.)
>
> The solution is straightforward, if perhaps annoying; simply don't accept
> any module as "official" Ruby unless the documentation is included.  Having
> a common format for the documentation would of course be very beneficial,
> but one step at a time.

Did the original module only have Japanese documentation available?  It is
hard for me to guess from your first paragraph.  I agree with your general
solution, but it brings us back to the question: what language should this
documentation be in?  It would be unfair to make us learn Japanese in order
for us to master ruby.  It would be at least as unfair to force matz and the
army of Ruby folks in Japan to do all of their documentation in English.

Of course, I'm still working on learning Japanese anyhow.  It's just so
cool-looking ;-)

-Brian W
--
brian at coolnamehere dot com