Dave Thomas wrote in message ...
>"Pete McBreen, McBreen.Consulting" <mcbreenp / cadvision.com> writes:
>
>> Overall I'd say that this behavior matches the least surprise
>> feature, since Time.local(2000, 5, 1, 0, 0) will occur at Midnight
>> local time on the 1st May, but when seen from November that time
is
>> not an integral number of 24 hour units since the clocks are set
back
>> one hour in October.
>
>The other side of the POLS is consistency: on Unix boxes you get
>
>     Sat Apr 01 00:00:00 CST 2000
>     Mon May 01 00:00:00 CDT 2000
>
>Now if Windows users are expecting displayed timezone to remain
>unchanged, then I'd certainly agree with you that that trumps
>consistency with Unix. However, if instead it's just something they
>could live with, then I'd argue we should strive for consistency and
>map the timezone to daylight savings if applicable.

Like I said, it's an OS glitch, especially since Unix gives what you
would expect. I have a suspician that the time display is coming
directly from the underlying C routines and/or the OS and that it has
nothing to do with Ruby (even though it could probably be fixed
inside Ruby to handle the OS ignoring the timezone.)

This Time Trouble is making Linux look more attractive every day :-)

Pete