Hi Useko.

Try "screen", its amazing, though it may not be exactly what you have in
mind.

Sam

http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/screen.html

Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical
terminal between several processes, typically interactive shells.  Each
virtual terminal provides the functions of the DEC VT100 terminal and,
in addition, several control functions from the ANSI X3.64 (ISO 6429)
and ISO 2022 standards (e.g., insert/delete line and support for
multiple character sets). There is a scrollback history buffer for each
virtual terminal and a copy-and-paste mechanism that allows the user to
move text regions between windows.  When screen is called, it creates a
single window with a shell in it (or the specified command) and then
gets out of your way so that you can use the program as you normally
would.  Then, at any time, you can create new (full-screen) windows with
other programs in them (including more shells), kill the current window,
view a list of the active windows, turn output logging on and off, copy
text between windows, view the scrollback history, switch between
windows, etc.  All windows run their programs completely independent of
each other.  Programs continue to run when their window is currently not
visible and even when the whole screen session is detached from the
users terminal.

Quoteing usenets / nyc.rr.com, on Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:53:34AM +0900: