On Thursday, February 20, 2003, 5:53:49 AM, Yukihiro wrote:

> |That's the autovivification we were talking about earlier in the
> |thread.  I think the consensus is against it.  I certainly think it
> |would be very bad.

> Probably I missed some of the discussion.  I will check the archive.

I made some self-contradictory points during the discussion.  I now
believe it's better to restrict the shorthand syntax to
modules/classes that already exist.

Rationale: YAGNI (it == autovivification of intermediate modules)

If you want to create nested modules without having created, say, the
top-level one, well, it's pretty easy to put a small definition in,
and that is a good place for a comment.

  #
  # Namespace for Test::Unit framework.
  #
  module Test
  end

  #
  # Defines common Test::Unit capabilities.
  #
  module Test::Unit

The original reason for the suggestion, 37 messages ago, was that

  module Test
    module Unit
      ... 200 lines
      #                    we get indentation blindness here.
      ... 200 lines

Gavin