On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 05:51:22AM +0900, Robert Hahn wrote:
> I see all kinds of html template system that use new tags - for
> example, JSP uses <%...%> tags PHP uses <?foo ?> tags; ColdFusion uses
> <cf*> tags (where * represents such commands like loop, var, etc...).
> In fact, the preponderance of non-pure html templating systems led one
> blogger on O'Reilly to bemoan why there are no solutions that leave
> HTML code in HTML space, and business logic in the programming space.
> [http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2423]
>
> I'm working on a templating system right now that works as an abstract
> class.  It will scan a well-formed (in the XML sense) HTML document,
> and grab subtrees where the root of the subtree has a code attribute -

I wrote a templating system once which used 'class', so for example you
could write

   My name is <span class="name">foo</span>

and it replaced 'foo' with the appropriate content. I just looked at Amrita
and it seems to use exactly the same idea. It gives the side benefit of
being able to stylise the inserted content if you so wish.

Is that what you were thinking about? Or is there some reason to use a
different attribute than 'class'?

Regards,

Brian.