Jan writes:

# Today i gave a version of ruby (1.6.1) to a colleage who works with AIX.
# He tried to compile it but he got the following error:
# checking whether getpgrp takes no argument.... configure: error: cannot
# check get pgrp if cross compiling
#
# Does anyone know what this means ?
# Or should i ask in a AIX newsgroup ?

I didn't have any problems on AIX 4.3 using the vac C compiler. (The last
of the various problems I used to encounter were resolved in earlier
releases of Ruby well over half a year ago, with the minor exception of a
couple of apparently harmless warnings.)

Except for special cases, it's often hard to answer such questions without
knowing the specifics. (And even then it can be a challenge for people who
are mainly AIX users, versus AIX C-language developers.)

The "cannot check get pgrp if cross compiling" message puzzles me. But
without seeing the rest of the preceding output from configure and OS
level and C compiler, I don't know what to make of it, if anything.

Conrad Schneiker