Sat, 15 Feb 2003 08:06:31 +0900, Mauricio FernŠŌdez <batsman.geo / yahoo.com> pisze:

> Would you reconsider dropping ':=' ?

It would look backwards for me; := looks like assignment and =
like definition more than the other way around.

Anyway, I would like to be able to specify initial value at the point
of introduction of a local variable, and be able to introduce it in
the middle of a block. I mean: say on the fly "let's compute this and
call it x, where x is a new variable", rather than declare locals on
the top of a block.

My favourite is
   let x = expr
perhaps with a different keyword (var or local) and with several
variables at once. I don't like local {|a,b| ...} for the above
reasons, and because it introduces an indentation level.

Making locals shouldn't be much uglier than using method's variables
so it will be used not only when absolutely necessary.

Actually 'var' and 'local' sound better than 'let' when there is no
initial value. It's a better style to provide it though. I hate when
a language forces me to list all variables in one place before they
are used.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak / knm.org.pl