On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:37, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> The first issue is whether the boxes with the +/- signs appear to the
> left of (non-leaf) tree items. Two different options for the FXTreeList
> widget control affect this. For root-level tree items, if you pass in
> the TREELIST_ROOT_BOXES option you'll see these boxes; if not, you
> won't. For other (non-root) tree items, the TREELIST_SHOWS_BOXES option
> serves the same purpose.

Thanks.  I want the '+' signs.  What I was getting at is that at the time the
window is displayed, the top-level nodes won't have any children (because I'm
not inserting them into the tree until the user clicks on the node).

The default behaviour seems to be to show the '+' signs when there *are*
children, which is fine by me.  It was nice to see that when I add child
nodes after the window has been drawn, the '+' signs get added automatically
... not surprising, but it would have been a pain if they weren't.

> The second issue (and independent of the first) is which icon(s) are
> displayed when a tree item is open or closed. If you're using, for
> example, FXTreeList#addItemLast to append child items to a parent node,
> you can pass the "open" and "closed" icons as the third and fourth
> arguments to addItemLast:
>
>      treeList.addItemLast(parentItem, "Item Text", openIcon, closedIcon)

Yep.  I saw that in the RDoc for the API.  What I was hoping was that there
might be some way of asking FOX to use something like, say, the system's
standard icon for a file folder ... assuming such a "standard" icon exists
... rather than having to load my own image.  Needing to do that isn't really
a big issue, it just means that deploying the program requires including the
image files, rather than just giving someone the single Ruby file.

I guess I could do something sneaky like encode the icons as data and put them
after __END__ in the Ruby code, so they can be read in at runtime.  Probably
more effort than it's worth, but I might do that, just as an experiment.

> You'll need to provide your own icons. Any of the icons used for tree
> lists in the FXRuby examples (e.g. splitter.rb) are fair game, if that
> helps.

Excellent!  I'll give them a go.

By the way, are there any reasonably detailed tutorials on using FOX, other
than the one that comes with the library?  It's too bad that the Ruby book
market isn't better, because I reckon a book devoted to FX/Ruby would be
great.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Harry O.