For which OS?

Under Windows you can use exerb (but it makes very large files).
Under Unix, you could embed the ruby interpreter in a program.  I'm not
sure if this still requires ruby to be installed.

I've been thinking about this problem for a while.  Here is one idea:
  * Create a tar.gz (or zip) file with a ruby executable as well as
    the libraries that your app needs.  Also include your app.
  * Optionally create an installer that copies all of this to certain
    directory.
  * Write a script that simply wraps around your app.  For instance,
    if you wrote YourApp.rb, then write "YourApp.sh" which contains
    one line:  "./ruby YourApp.rb"

This is not the cleanest solution.  If a user downloads many such
programs, they end up with many copies of Ruby.  But it would probably
work.

--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.