In article <1fq10nz.1dbc9zz1fuo4w0N%lucsky / mac.com>,
Luc Heinrich <lucsky / mac.com> wrote:
>Phil Tomson <ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com> wrote:
>
>> But we're talking about building a GUI on it so that may not be an issue,
>> though personally I probably wouldn't work on a project which used Flash
>> as the basis of a GUI primarily because it is a closed standard, while I
>> would consider (if I had the time, so I'm speaking hypothetically here)
>> building a GUI using SVG which is an open standard... but that's just my
>> opinion.
>
>What's the difference between an open standard like SVG which
>specifications are freely available and a supposedly closed standard
>like Flash which specifications are *also* freely available ?
>
>Is this just because SVG is driven by the W3C (after having beeing
>driven by Adobe, IIRC) and Flash is driven by the baaaaad Macromedia ?
>Because once again, both specifications are freely available.

Fair question...  Whereas the spec for creating 'programs' with Flash (is
'program' the right word here?  Maybe 'presentations' would fit better) is
open because Macromedia wants people to develop 'presentations' with their
tool.  However, the program for running these 'presentations' isn't.  I
suppose that someone could come up with their own implementation for playing
Flash presentations but so far I don't believe anyone has AND perhaps there are
legal issues in the license for the Flash spec ("Thou shalt not try to
create your own Flash player based on this spec" ?  I guess that's a good
question: is there anything keeping, for example, the Mozilla project from
making their own Flash player?  If not, then why isn't someone working on
this?)

Now, let me place another qualification on my original statement:

Personally I probably wouldn't work on a project _for free_ which used
Flash  as the basis of a GUI primarily because it is a closed standard
(or at least the player is closed at this point). However, if I were being
paid to do so I wouldn't have a problem with it.
[I'm not sure why I should volunteer to do a project which promotes the
interests of a commercial company. Does that make more sense?  I'm not
saying that Macromedia is evil only that it's a corporation that is
looking out for it's profits which of course is what corporations do, but
why should I promote their interests without being compensated for doing
so?]

Phil