----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Tomson" <ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: locana, SVG, cross-platform GUI meanderings...

> In article <Pine.GSO.4.53.0302061656510.27369 / neelix>,
> Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng  <hgs / dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> >On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Richard Kilmer wrote:
> >

> >> On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 04:24  AM, Holden Glova wrote:
> >> <SNIP>
> >        [...]
> >        [...]
> >        [...]
> >>
> >> Phil et al,
> >>
> >> I agree with your assessment that it would be a killer Ruby application
> >> to be able to create browser delivered interfaces using a vector based
> >> renderer (rather than HTML).  For the reasons outlined above I don't
> >> think that SVG is up to it...but Macromedia Flash _IS_ up to it.  So,
> >
> >http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG12/#xml-integration
> >suggests that forms and widgets are on the agenda for SVG, as are
> >events.  Is Flash an open standard?
>
> No.  And I know that folks on the Linux side of things tend to hate Flash
> and therefore avoid it.

<sigh> I have mixed feelings. It may not be an open
standard, but it's widespread and so on. It's in the
same league IMO with PDF and Postscript and (to a
lesser extent) RTF.

Besides the fact it's not open, is there any other
reason Linux people hate Flash? My friend hates it,
but he hates *LOTS* of things. :)

Hal