--NHfequSh1hmJPP0s

Phil Tomson (ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com) wrote:

> In article <20030206191942.GT17870 / segment7.net>,
> Eric Hodel  <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:
> >... but Gecko can do it with XBL...
> >
> >I don't see why Flash is so cool when you can already do the same stuff
> >it does with a decent web browser *cough* mozilla *cough*.  Well, ok, so
> >I do, its because IE went and implemented all these evil non-standard
> >things, and didn't bother to implement the really cool standard ones.
> >
> >Gecko is open, Gecko is free, and Gecko is an _amazing_ application
> >development framework.
> >
> >*AND* you can do it all in Ruby with http://rbxpcom.mozdev.org
> >

> This is interesting.  Is this related to the XUL for customizing Mozilla
> stuff?  There has been a lot of talk lately about Mozilla becoming a
> platform in it's own right.  There's a new O'Reilly book out called
> "Developing applications with Mozilla" (or something close to that).

Yep!  The "backend" of mozilla is written in C++, and the C++ code is
exposed via XPCOM to whatever binding language you choose (mozilla uses
JavaScript, there are also Perl and Python bindings).  XUL is just
mozilla's UI format, it has buttons, menubars, frames, etc, etc.

All messages signed with fingerprint:
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--NHfequSh1hmJPP0s

--NHfequSh1hmJPP0s--