In article <20030206191942.GT17870 / segment7.net>,
Eric Hodel  <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:

>--+Yg8W10oK6rlW0RR
>
>Phil Tomson (ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com) wrote:
>
>>=20
>> Hmmmm.... But Flash isn't open as SVG is.
>>=20
>> So SVG doesn't have things like pull-down menus?  What if what was=20
>> generated was a mix of SVG and HTML (which does AFAIK have pulldown=20
>> menus).
>
>=2E.. but Gecko can do it with XBL...
>
>I don't see why Flash is so cool when you can already do the same stuff
>it does with a decent web browser *cough* mozilla *cough*.  Well, ok, so
>I do, its because IE went and implemented all these evil non-standard
>things, and didn't bother to implement the really cool standard ones.
>
>Gecko is open, Gecko is free, and Gecko is an _amazing_ application
>development framework.
>
>*AND* you can do it all in Ruby with http://rbxpcom.mozdev.org

This is interesting.  Is this related to the XUL for customizing Mozilla
stuff?  There has been a lot of talk lately about Mozilla becoming a
platform in it's own right.  There's a new O'Reilly book out called
"Developing applications with Mozilla" (or something close to that).

Phil
--
"Or perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"
Amy Weiss (accusing theregister.co.uk of engaging in 'tabloid journalism')