On Thursday 06 February 2003 02:10 am, Phil Tomson wrote:
> ....then, the other day I read something about how KDE and GNOME are now
> using SVG to produce their icons - the advantage being that they can make
> their icons any size (scalable)... and of course that got me to looking a
> bit at SVG.  So would it be possible to create SVG-based GUIs that 'run'
> in a browser and have this SVG-based toolkit as one of Ruby's built-in GUI
> toolkits?  Would this be a coup for Ruby in the web-space? (could
> this sort of thing be considered a 'killer app' for Ruby? - I truely don't
> know, I'm looking for opinions.  I kind of think it would be very
> powerful, but I don't have enough in-depth knowledge about SVG yet to
> know for sure).

Phil,

i thought about this too. being lead to the GUtopIa project, i'm always
considering these angles. (by the way, the project is not dead, just on hold
til i get my my accounting app to a 1.0 version)

an SVG GUI does sound very tempting, but it dosen't have built-in ways of
interacting via text, much less more advanced elements like drop down lists.
with any luck this stuff will be added in the future. but for now this kind
of "slick" interface looks only to be available via macromedia's flash mx.
but of course that's proprietary, nor have i seen anything on the ins and
outs of working with flash mx with ruby (i suspect it is complicated).

one of the two major plans of GUtopIa is to build a pure Ruby GUI. the current
plan is to base it on the GGI library, but i would very much like to add
seemless SVG support if possible. i think that would be very cool to have.

-transami

p.s. shameless cry for help: if anyone would like to build GGI binding for
Ruby please let me know, i've started it based on Ruby/DL but have ways to
go, and as mentioned above don't have the time at the moment.

--
tom sawyer, aka transami
transami / transami.net