On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:10, Phil Tomson wrote:
> Hold on, this post takes a few twists and turns.   Consider it an exercise
> in non-linear thinking or perhaps web-based thinking where you end up
> following links to pages and finding other interesting links which you
> then follow to other pages not knowing quite where you'll end
> up...brainstorming.
>
> Has anyone used Locana? (http://www.locana.org/)
> There haven't been any updates lately...
>
> For those not familiar with it:
>
> It's a Ruby based cross platform GUI builder/toolkit - where 'platform'
> here includes Windows (using native DLL calls), Linux (using Tk) and web
> browsers. The same code can be used to target all three which is
> interesting...  There are other cross-platform GUI toolkits out there
> (like Tk, WxWindows and to some extent Qt) but I don't think any of these
> others include the ability to run your GUI in a browser.
>
> There was a recent thread of discussion on my local Linux user's group
> mailing list about what the best programming language for teaching new
> programmers would be (specifically the originator of the thread was asking
> if PHP would be a good beginner's language) - I of course jumped in with
> Ruby, but the PHP contingent offered a compelling reason for their
> language (I really don't think PHP _would_ be a good first language, but
> leaving the language issues aside) by making the point that it's very easy
> to create GUIs in PHP where the GUI runs in a browser.  Their point being
> that new programmers would like to be able to easily create GUI elements
> like buttons, etc (I don't totally agree, but their argument does seem to
> have some merit) so they can quickly see some interesting results and of
> course they felt that PHP was the quickest route to get there because you
> don't have to worry about having some specific GUI library installed, the
> GUI is composed of HTML and it 'runs' in the browser.
>
> Now this got me to thinking about Locana since it is apparently easy to
> create a browser-based GUI with it.
>
> ....then, the other day I read something about how KDE and GNOME are now
> using SVG to produce their icons - the advantage being that they can make
> their icons any size (scalable)... and of course that got me to looking a
> bit at SVG.  So would it be possible to create SVG-based GUIs that 'run'
> in a browser and have this SVG-based toolkit as one of Ruby's built-in GUI
> toolkits?  Would this be a coup for Ruby in the web-space? (could
> this sort of thing be considered a 'killer app' for Ruby? - I truely don't
> know, I'm looking for opinions.  I kind of think it would be very
> powerful, but I don't have enough in-depth knowledge about SVG yet to
> know for sure).
>
> Phil

Hiya Phil,

This came up on -talk a bit longer then a year ago - back then this link was
pasted by someone which has some very nice 'ooo ahhh' stuff
http://www.kevlindev.com/gui/index.htm

AFAIK, for an SVG gui to be useful it would need to handle events. This means
you either need to run it inside a mozilla browser with SVG support compiled
in or you use the adobe plugin (which means you use javascript) or you would
need something else that could render the SVG (something like Batik). The
adobe plugin hasn't been updated in a very long time which makes me wonder if
Adobe is still keen on this. Sadly, what is supported in the Adobe plugin is
different then what will work in Mozilla or IE. Life on the bleeding edge is
full of compromise :)

- --
Signed,
Holden Glova