----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Carrera" <dcarrera / math.umd.edu>

There seems to be a problem in Complex.  It gets (-i)^2/3 wrong.

[snip]

The weird thing is that Maple gets this wrong too.
----------------------------

Well, if you can get the Maple people to change this, let us know!  :)
Doing like Maple does it seems like a pretty good bet.

Anyway, how do you propose we define x^2/3?

Anyway, this seems like the right answer to me.  For one thing, I expect
f(x), where f is a complex function defined with real coefficients,
exponents, etc. to be symmetric about the real number line.  In other words:

  f(conj(x)) = conj(f(x))

where `conj(x)' is the complex conjugate of x (which is, of course, a field
isomorphism of C... that's my point).

Chris