> It's neither shoddy, nor "extra" :-)  It's just how here-docs work.

and how they are hardly ever used. i mean really am i wrong about that? when
was the last time you did:

x = <<-EOS, 'add this'
	to this
EOS

that what is appended appears before what it is to be appended to, is what i
mean by "shoddy".

> I think Nobu's point is that all existing quotation mechanisms can
> be dropped into the pattern:
>
>   quote_1, quote_2, quote_3, ... , quote_n
>
> without regard to order, and that the %L one would be the one and
> only exception to this, therefore an anomaly.

always trade-offs. but i don't think the limitation of not being able to chain
methods to %L structure out ways the benefit of having elegent margin
control. but that's IMHO.

there is this solution, though i find it a tad unattractive, but of course it
is optional:

  %L|this

--
tom sawyer, aka transami