I have tons of dbf data that I have to manipulate here at work. I started
off using Python(several years ago), but dbf manipulation was so slow that
I had to find a better solution. I neded up using dbf2mysql, which does
a _fantastic_ job importing dbf data into mysql. It even allows you to setup
indexes during the import, and it translates the data to native mysql types
on the fly. Note, there are several dbf2mysql projects, the one I'm talking
about is written by the authors of Mysql, and it's available here:

http://www.mysql.com/Downloads/Contrib/dbf2mysql-1.14.tar.gz

Cheers,
Travis Whitton