"Mark Wilson" <mwilson13 / cox.net> wrote in message
news:535620B1-37BE-11D7-BE1F-000393876156 / cox.net...
> Just a basic question -- what is a tuple?  How is it different from an
> array in Ruby (if at all)?  Everything I've read in my research on
> google seems to assume that the reader knows what a tuple is and why it
> is useful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Wilson

Tuples are immutable lists.

"Tuples have many uses. For example: (x, y) coordinate pairs, employee
records from a database, etc. Tuples, like strings, are immutable: it is not
possible to assign to the individual items of a tuple (you can simulate much
of the same effect with slicing and concatenation, though). It is also
possible to create tuples which contain mutable objects, such as lists."
<-- from Python docs