Matz writes:

# In message "[ruby-talk:6337] RE:  Another Smalltalk control structure
idea"
#     on 00/11/14, Aleksi Niemel<aleksi.niemela / cinnober.com> writes:
#
# |I guess we're heading to join it to 1.7, and then finally to 1.8 if not
in
# |1.6 series even. I can't recall matz has used his veto for this issue,
but I
# |guess he doesn't like it either, as it's not already part of the
standard
# |lib.
#
# The only reason I didn't put it in 1.5 (or 1.6) was I felt `inject'
# did not describe the behavior enough.

Wish I'd realized that. I guess I didn't ask about this the right way some
time ago.  :-)

# If you find the better name,
# I'll add it immediately (to 1.7 of course).  But I think you'll see it
# anyway in the future.

Anyone know what the equivalent function is called in Mathematica? Maple?
MathCAD? <Etc.>? (Or in CLOS/Lisp/Scheme? Or Haskell?)

Meanwhile, let's consult the Oracle at Google....

Hmm. What's this here? Your might want to consider "reduce: a generalized
inject function" (http://www.xs4all.nl/~hipster/lib/ruby/reduce) as a
starting point. It's already written in Ruby. (What a coincidence! :-) And
it happens to have the name I prefer.

Conrad Schneiker