> Y> I may drop ':=' part, i.e.
>

>  Now read the discussion about :=' and you'll have the response to your
>  questions.

Unfortunately, although I receive ruby-talk in digest form, there are some
weeks when I simply have to delete every day's mails. That's just how it
goes. I did read [52440], [63087] and [63100] though, and the terminology
was ambiguous to me. Does "shadowed" mean "aliased" or "hidden"?

I note an example at the end of [52440] though, which shows the block
parameter to be truly local - but then Matz says it won't be done like that
for a long time :-(

So it appears that the answer to my own question is "10, one day". That's
all I was looking for.

Matz could of course start generating the shadowing warnings now, even if
not changing the behaviour. That would (a) discourage people from relying on
the current behaviour, and (b) catch errors where you actually intended the
block parameter to be local.

Regards,

Brian.