Berger, Daniel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ruby 1.6.8
> ruby-dbi 0.18
> oracle 0.2.11 (ruby driver)
> Oracle 8.1.5 (oracle)
> Solaris 9
>
> I've noticed a parsing problem with leading sql comments and sql that ends
> with a placeholder.  For example,
>
> --random comment
> select column1, column2
> from table1
> where somevalue > ?
>
> In both ruby and TORA, this causes oracle error 24374: "define not done
> before fetch or execute and fetch".  However, I do not get this error via
> sqlplus or TOAD, so I'm fairly certain it's not an Oracle client side issue.
> It appears to be some sort of sql parsing problem.
>
> Interestingly, changing the "?" to a fixed value fixes the parsing error in
> ruby-dbi, although TORA still chokes.
>
> Is this an oracle driver problem or a ruby-dbi problem?  And can it be fixed
> (please)?

It should be simple to fix. All we have to do is to split the SQL statement into
lines (separated by \n), then sort those out starting with --, and finally join
it again to proceed with the usual tokenizing steps.

I'll put this into 0.0.19.
Are there problems with "--" comments for other databases than Oracle?
Or should I only process comments for the Oracle-DBD?

Regards,

  Michael

--
Michael Neumann  ***  eMail uu9r / rz.uni-karlsruhe.de