Hello,

Suppose that I take a source file under the GPL and modify it to turn
it into a Ruby extension.  The original file would have a notice like:

/* file.c
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2000 Joe Hacker
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 */

When I make a Ruby extension based on this code, it would stay under the
GPL.  But who has the copyright for the new version?  Is it the orignal
developer ("Joe Hacker") or is it the guy who ported it to Ruby (me)?

Should I put:

# file.rb
#
# Copyright (C) 2000 Joe Hacker

or

# file.rb
#
# Copyright (C) 2003 Daniel Carrera

Thanks for the help.

--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.