> this is precisely why i don't like that in
>
>   arr.each { |elem|
>     max = ...
>   }
> max could be in the global scope - i'm a C programmer and this simply
seems
> bizarre.
>
> now
>
>   arr.each { |elem|
>     keyword max = ...
>   }
>
> where keyword is something like 'static' or 'export' implying that the var
is
> on the heap and globally available make sense to me.

isn't the idea of a dynamically typed interpreted language like Ruby that
you give the developer more flexibility... I'm working in java in my day job
atm, and am using Ruby for a 'home project' to get a feel for a more
trusting language.

the things I'm beginning to like about Ruby are all to do with that
flexibility.  I'd prefer to trust myself (and my tests) rather than have to
type extra characters here and there....

my 2c.

cheers
dim