On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Paul Brannan wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:46:27AM +0900, ahoward wrote:
> > elimnating methods is _very_ important to keep things fast too, not just to
> > keep them readable.
>
> From what I've seen, the Ruby Way to make things fast seems to be to
> rewrite it in C.  The C compiler can do inlining that the Ruby
> interpreter cannot.

you are obviously correct.  however, i wrote a decoder recently which decoded
some largish text weather data.  it took around 30 seconds to run - which was
actually acceptable.  i decided to profile it, in 5 minutes i changed two
offending lines, and now it runs in under 1 sec.  my c++ version takes 3
seconds.  i think profiling is key with languages like ruby and perl.

-a

--