On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 dblack / candle.superlink.net wrote:

> Hi --
>
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Pat Eyler wrote:
>
> > > Options are
> > >
> > >     a) have RubyConf around OSCON
> > >     b) have RubyConf in OSCON
> >
> > Living in Seattle, I'd be really willing to do either of these.  An added
> > bonus is that we're likely to boost the OSCON Ruby attendance (meaning a
> > Ruby track next year too), and liable to get added RubyConf attendance
> > from interested OSCON attendees.
> >
> > >     c) find sponsor to buy me tickets
> >
> > If it comes down to this, what about doing something like the
> > PerlFoundation and collecting contributions from the Ruby Community to
> > fund your trip?
>
> c) is definitely the best of the three possibilities.  July is awfully
> soon to have the next RubyConf... and Portland is awfully close to
> Seattle (I'd really like to spread them out geographically, at least
> within the U.S.).  Also, I'm not sure that RubyConf would boost OSCON
> Ruby attendance much, at least if I'm reading last year's OSCON fees
> correctly and if this year's are anything like last year's ($895 for
> 3-day conference attendance, or $400 per day for 1 or 2).

Agreed here.  Especially in terms of geographic spread.   We've done east
coast and then west coast in the two conferences respectively so far.

> As for donations: the umbrella non-profit organization for the
> conference, Ruby Central, Inc., is designed as a clearinghouse for
> this kind of thing, except that it doesn't yet have tax-exempt status
> (so donations are not tax deductible).  But that's being looked into.

Matz, if you were to do a tutorial, O'Reilly would cover a decent amount
of your travel expenses.  That might be the best way to get to OSCON.  I
would suggest that if you can get to OSCON, we should find a way to
sponsor your RubyConf trip.  We can probably do that with a friendly loan
from someone who's got the cash (I think we can find that) and then pay it
back with conference attendance fees.

Chad