Hi --

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Pat Eyler wrote:

> > Options are
> >
> >     a) have RubyConf around OSCON
> >     b) have RubyConf in OSCON
>
> Living in Seattle, I'd be really willing to do either of these.  An added
> bonus is that we're likely to boost the OSCON Ruby attendance (meaning a
> Ruby track next year too), and liable to get added RubyConf attendance
> from interested OSCON attendees.
>
> >     c) find sponsor to buy me tickets
>
> If it comes down to this, what about doing something like the
> PerlFoundation and collecting contributions from the Ruby Community to
> fund your trip?

c) is definitely the best of the three possibilities.  July is awfully
soon to have the next RubyConf... and Portland is awfully close to
Seattle (I'd really like to spread them out geographically, at least
within the U.S.).  Also, I'm not sure that RubyConf would boost OSCON
Ruby attendance much, at least if I'm reading last year's OSCON fees
correctly and if this year's are anything like last year's ($895 for
3-day conference attendance, or $400 per day for 1 or 2).

As for donations: the umbrella non-profit organization for the
conference, Ruby Central, Inc., is designed as a clearinghouse for
this kind of thing, except that it doesn't yet have tax-exempt status
(so donations are not tax deductible).  But that's being looked into.

David

--
David Alan Black
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net