"Dwayne Smurdon @ DNA Media Pro" <smurdon / dnamediapro.com> writes:

> I did a lot of googling and looking around the related Ruby websites, but I
> still cannot find a concreate example of how to connect to a database using
> a DSN and/or a DSN-less connection.

The big two are ODBC and DBI. I prefer DBI. The ruby-dbi package is at
http://ruby-dbi.sourceforge.net/. DBI, like ODBC, is just a front-end
to various dbase specific drivers (DBD). There is ADO DBD which allows
you to use win32' ADO infrastructure.

> Basically, if someone can tell me how to connect to the server, prepare and
> execute a sql statement and then iterate over a result-set, I could probably
> get this done.  :)

The ruby-dbi site glosses over the action you want to perform. A more
detailed explanation is found at perl-dbi site:
http://dbi.perl.org/doc/index.html.

You can also come to ruby's irc channel and ask some people.

YS.
gnome.