On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:36:31 +0900, dblack / candle.superlink.net wrote:

||| We've all heard this: "Ruby is great, but it doesn't have the
||| equivalent of CPAN."

I've been using Ruby since 2000 (I think) and I considered abandoning it
after reading Bruce Eckels make that exact point, but then I thought about
it and decided to stick with it. Ruby is too good a language (and fun too!)
to just scrap it because of this "library imbalance" which may or may not
ever affect me. IOW, there may be 10 times more libraries available for
Perl and Python, but how many of them do I actualy need?

||| So, all you almost-satisfied Ruby programmers, what's missing? :-)

One part of cpan that I really like is the cpan shell that let's you query
what you have, find what you need and install it. I haven't looked at the
Perl code for that to see how complicated a task that is, but it's a very
nice thing to have.

Joey

--
http://www.joeygibson.com