On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:37:02AM +0900, Travis Whitton wrote:
> > Have you tried narf-lib ? You might want to give it a shot.  It's an entirely
> > new look at the CGI API.
> >
> > http://narf-lib.sf.net
>
> I checked it out, and I like the way it makes it easy to test your web
> applications; however, I don't understand why it's necessary to include
> #!/usr/bin/narf at the top of your scripts when you're coding in Ruby. Is

You actually don't need to do this. The only function of this is to
dump errors to the Web browser in php/asp/jsp style. If you don't use
it errors will go to the log in the traditional way.

> there a way to use this library in a standard fashion, and if not, why can't
> errors be reported directly to the browser without using the narf runner?

They could, but you would need to add a top level exception handler in
your code. I think - if you have a better solution send me a patch :-).

> Also, how stable is narf? I'm about to embark on a serious project, and narf's
> RAA listing has it at beta status. With cgi.rb weighing in at under 2000 lines,
> I have no worries of problems occuring I wouldn't be able to fix. I'm not
> knocking narf. It looks like it can do some very cool stuff. I'm just curious
> if it would suite my particular needs.

Narf is thoroughly unit tested (test first no-less), so is perhaps not
beta in the traditional sense. Areas likely to be a bit rough include mod_ruby
support (it may work, but isn't used by any of the developers).

The documentation is also not very complete, but 'How do I...'s are
appreciated - they help focus attention on what's missing.

If there are any issues (or if you have any questions), we usually get
them resolved fairly quickly - just post them to the mailing list:
     narf-lib-devel / lists.sourceforge.net

-Tom