On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Tim Bates wrote:

> I don't know, maybe I'm not; I'm just throwing ideas around. It would be
> more transparent than Marshal; I haven't looked at PStore, so maybe it
> already does this, although ahoward hinted that it is intended for
> exclusively web-based programming, perhaps because of the way it is tied to
> CGI. It's quite possible that something like this already exists - if
> someone knows of such a beast, could you let us know since I for one would
> find it very useful.

pstore is not tied to CGI.  pstore is the generic object persistence scheme
you've described in earlier posts, written for you and built into ruby!

here are some examples of it's use :

http://eli.fsl.noaa.gov/ruby/class/0/presentation/slide.cgi?n=14
http://eli.fsl.noaa.gov/ruby/class/0/presentation/slide.cgi?n=15

the CGI::Session::Pstore is simply plugs a Pstore into the session manager,
which ships with modules for only memory or file backed storage, both of which
are limited to string -> string key-values pairs.  the pstore module extends
this so cgi scripts may store object -> object key-value pairs in their
session.  the code is really simple but i'd be happy to answer any questions
about it.

-a

ps.  apologies if you've already got replies regarding this, my news server is
acting really poorly today....

--