--- Tom Sawyer <transami / transami.net> wrote:
> Prevayler is a very interesting idea, but it isn't a
> full purpose solution. i
> would love to be able to use something like this but
> i have tables that are
> multiple hundreds of megabytes each. i'd run out of
> memory pretty quick.

You do know that modern computers often *have*
hundreds of megabytes of RAM? ;-)

> but it did get me thinking that it would be neat is
> Ruby could cache its
> ObjectSpace to disk, or more exactly, if it could
> track object usage and
> cache the objects with oldest/least use. then Ruby
> in and of itself could be
> persistent, and work as a general purpose soultion.
>
> thought?

I've tried writing a few pure-Ruby solutions using
object proxies, which worked OK, but haven't never
tried it in a production system.
It would be very interesting to add some hooks in the
ruby interpreter so that you could get some more
direct control over the objects. Python has ways of
intercepting most calls to their objects, which ZODB
(Zope's object database) uses.

/Anders

=====
Anders Bengtsson              ndrsbngtssn / yahoo.se
Stockholm, Sweden

Gratis e-mail resten av livet p? www.yahoo.se/mail
Busenkelt!