Tanaka Akira <akr / m17n.org> writes:

> In article <87hec3nnu2.fsf / squeaker.lickey.com>,
>   Matt Armstrong <matt / lickey.com> writes:
>
>> The next element in ARGV is taken to be an optional argument if it
>> does not begin with a - character.
>
> If non-option argument which is not begin with a - character is
> followed by such option, -- is required?

Yes.  E.g. if --foo takes an optional argument, but you do not want to
pass one, then you have to do:

    --foo -- bar

Maybe that is bad.  I can't think of too many commands that have
options with optional arguments, so it is hard for me to tell if that
would be inconvenient or not.

Since use of optional arguments is rare (true?) maybe the current
behavior is okay.