Tim Bates wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 01:05 pm, Dmitri Colebatch wrote:
>
>>sounds like we're about to write an OODB (o:  as I mentioned in my other
>>email a query language and indexes are high on the list from my pov...
>

> But it's not an OODB; all you'd be doing is saving the state of your objects
> at the end of the program and recalling them at the beginning - so, you could
> turn it into something like an OODB by having lots of big arrays of similar
> objects, but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Your query
> language is Ruby itself, the same way you'd query any other set of objects in
> a Ruby program - you can forget that they have been cached. Your indexes can
> be built yourself and cached along with the rest of your objects; attempting
> to build indexes into the system will reduce its general-purpose use.

thanks for the response.  so the difference between this and PStore (or
Marshall from what I'v eheard) is ....?  I'm assuming you're talking
about the load/save mechanics...  at transaction boundaries writing
everything to disk?  I'm already doing that in my PStore backed impl,
but am sure you're talking about something more...

cheers
dim