> Yep.  I'd be very interested to know if cygwin's gcc can be shoehorned
> to generate Windows-compatible binaries.  How do you get it to
> generate mingw binaries?

I need to look at my notes I used when I compiled a mingw version of
ruby for a test.

If you have the mingw libs installed using cygwins setup.exe, you can
specify to gcc

-mno-cygwin

which tells it to build a windows compatible binary.

Then I believe when wanting to create a dll use

dllwrap --target=mingw

If using configure (say for building ruby as a mingw exe) I believe you
specify

--host=mingw32 --target=mingw32

> I think there's an issue beyond mere object code, and that's
> libraries.  But I'd like to experiment.

Good luck

Rob