On Sunday, January 19, 2003, 11:42:25 PM, dblack wrote:

> Hi --

> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Matrix lacks a method to return a string like (for
>> Matrix[[1,2], [3,4]]):
>>
>>   1 2
>>   3 4
>>
>> Has anybody written such a method that they could share?

> Wouldn't it be very hard to generalize that, since matrices can
> contain arbitrary objects, and to arbitrary depth?

I must say, I wasn't expecting that.  Maybe I missed a few too many
algebra lectures, but I thought matrices contained numbers.  But
Matrix[["x", "y"]] has no complaint.  Though performing many methods
on it does :)

I don't know what you mean to "an arbitrary depth".

Anyway, it may be hard to generalize, but who really needs a
generalized case?  Such a method would still be useful to 99% of users
of the class.

Gavin