"Daniel Carrera" <dcarrera / math.umd.edu> wrote in message
news:Pine.GSO.4.44.0301181153390.639-100000 / hardy.math.umd.edu...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get my brother to try ruby.  Currently he's using Windows
> 2000 (he's a Linux user, but he's stuck witnh Windows for now).  After
> ruby is installed and you've written a program, how do you run it?

There have been various answers already - however the thread leaves the
impression that it's mighty difficult to get Ruby running on Windows. This
is not the case.

Assuming you have Windows 2000 or Windows XP, the Pragmatic Programmer
single click installer should configure the system such that you can execute
..rb and .rbw files directly. Note that .rbw files do not use a command
prompt and are expected to launch a GUI such as fox.

After installation it should be possible to use Explorer to browse into the
rubyb\samples\FxRuby directory, click on a random .rbw file and launch a GUI
sample application written in Ruby.

If it doesn't work directly after installation, a reboot might be necessary.

Mikkel